Fred has been interning in our early morning classes for a few months now, and has recently taken over the majority of the Sunday Mobility classes, it’s been great to get a physio in there to really drill down into the why and how of flexibility and stability. If you haven’t been to one yet, do it!! (but not this Sunday, you’re stuck with me this time…
1. What brought you to the fabulous box we know as Crossfit New Zealand?
My wife spent about 6 months training at 09 when we started CrossFit. I came to drop in to a couple of classes and was lucky enough to have both Daz and Krista help me out with some ninja 2 word lifting advice that improved my lifts immediately. When Daz announced that there was an intake of interns coming up ( about a year later) I came down to learn from the ‘Godfather’
2. When you aren’t working out or doing physio for the stars,… CFNZ stars that is, what do you do in your spare time?
Nic and myself enjoy eating out and trying new places in Auckland. We also plan elaborate holidays that we cant afford. One day we might book a flight…maybe to LA in July….
3. Give one compliment to one of the last people you worked out with at CFNZ?
I have 2 here. Marty Martin’s squat position and overhead position has improved beyond recognition this last 6 months. I know for a fact that he works on hips and thoracic mobility daily so it’s great to see that hard work paying off. Secondly I started interning 7 pms and Kate Ringwood was in my first class. I remember watching her squat was safe but looked a little shaky. Tonight I worked out in the same class and saw her back squatting. Well…it was like a different person. Strong, straight back. Knees wide, torso upright and great depth! Also a real testament to the hard work she does coming in 30 mins pre class and working on position. These two are really inspirational with the unseen extras that have made such a difference to their movement.
4. What is your favourite weird food combination?
I would be happy with a plate of raw veg/apples/pears and a jar of peanut butter.
5. What exercise challenges you the most and why?
Upperbody gymnastics work. Always tough for a big guy eh Daz? I also cant work out the correct body position when I am upside down. I always arch the wrong way. That might be a prop thing though. I am working hard at my mobility so the more technical movements are still a struggle (OHS/Pistols etc). Probably easier to ask what I find easy.
6. I’m living on the edge with this question, but what internet site do you surf the most?
Why would you be living on the edge? Not really an internet surfer but am always interested in MobilityWOD
7. Based on something you’ve already done, how might you make it into the Guinness Book of World Records?
My full name is Graham Jonathan Frederick Harkness Lait. If you can use triple and doubles on the board it has the highest scrabble score of any name in the world.
8. If you could be told one thing you weren’t told when you were a teenager, what would you like to have heard?
That I would have been a lot better at rugby if I didn’t have to carry around a 20kg weight plate in my jumper every week.
9. Finish this sentence:
If I wasn’t afraid I would tell my wife she couldn’t get those ………..(insert shoes/handbag/lulu gear/french bulldog accesories/jewellry as applicable)
10. What is your best personal characteristic?
I think I’m pretty calm in most situations. Although that may just be due to not being aware of how dangerous a situation could be.
11. What goals are you currently working on inside and outside of the box?
Improving mobility-I would like to be able to complete all basic barbell and gymnastic movements required in class with virtuosity. Not fussed about how much I can lift-I just want to look pretty! Wouldn’t mind if my lifting looked good too. Outside of the gym I would like to have a better work/life balance. I work long hours at present. This means I am not always at my most communicative at home which isn’t really fair on my family.
12. Tell two truths and one lie about yourself. The next time I see you, I will be asking which one is the lie
1. I got married in a small country town in Italy.
2. I gave up a land title in the UK to move to NZ. I was the 3rd Earl of Buckinghamshire
3. Despite being frightfully posh I played age group rugby for Scotland.
13. What is a song for which you thought you knew the words and later found out that you had them wrong?
eg. Sweet dreams are made of these,
who am I to disagree,
I travelled the world in generic jeans…
(real lyric is: I travelled the world and the seven seas)
“I got my first real sickstream” Real lyric is “I got my first real six string” Summer of ’69 by Bryan Adams. That’s right-I though Bryan Adams was talking about vomiting in a field during the heady festval days of summer.
14. Ok Fred! You are auditioning for Crossfit Idol.
You have to program and perform your own met-con for the judges.
You can decide if it is an AMRAP or for rounds.
What is the workout?
In 3…2…1… GO!
Oh Man! The pressure! I like the Met Cons with a movement that I struggle with alongside a movement that I enjoy. How about this??
400 m run / 500 Row Scale Distance if needed
50 Kettlebell swings (24/16) – Love Scale to Russian and weight if required
40 Box Jumps Quite – Enjoy Box height or step up.
30 Wall Balls – Getting there Air Squat/Goblet Squat
20 Burpees – Meh Just Chew them
10 Pull Ups – Struggle street Ring Rows
16 minute AMRAP. Bit grindy.
15. What motivates/inspires you to keep coming back to CFNZ?
Daz and the Coaching team have done a fantastic job of creating a real community. Daz always speaks about making CFNZ the Third Place for the members, and it is great to see people hanging out around workout times, making friends, planning events and geeking out. Also it has been awesome to see peoples movement improve so much over the last year-again a real testament to the environment the team have created for people to strive for perfection of movement over lifting heavy shit.
16. What is the biggest misconception about Crossfit that you wish to clear up right here, right now?
CrossFit is there to make you better at life, not better at CrossFit. Greg Glassman’s definition of fitness in 100 words ends with “regularly learn and play new sports.” Ideally for me this should be the first sentence.
17. Besides The Little Engine That Could, what was the last self-help book that you read? Did it help? & how?
I haven’t read any tbh. I read Raving Fans once but that was because it had pictures and colouring in.
18. What’s better — toilet paper rolled over the top? or underneath?
Over the top. Why would you want it underneath? However I do know that toilet etiquete demands that if you are in someone else’s house and the paper is underneath you musn’t change it. It is considered rude because you are suggesting they don’t know how to place toilet roll on the holder. I learn’t this in my compulsary etiquette lessons when I inherited my Earldom.
6 DB Snatch
Build to a heavy set
5 x 1-3 reps
10 Double Unders
15 DB Snatch
20 Lateral Box Step Overs
AMRAP in 6mins
Snatch Pull + Hang Squat Snatch
Build to a heavy set
10 Triple Unders
15 Russian Swings
20 OH Lunges 20/10kg
AMRAP in 6mins